( this article taken from http://www.recom.org/forum/showthread.php?s=079c4a50f0f980aada24e3749d0f284e&t=2475)
Do you know that you can travel from KL Sentral to KLIA for as low as RM12.50 instead of the normal fare of RM35.00?Can't blame you for not believing that this is possible.A closer examination on the ERL fare structure using the link below will reveal the following weakness
* Sentral(1) --> Bdr. Tasik Selatan(2) RM 4.20
* Sentral(1) --> Putrajaya(3) RM 9.50
* Sentral(1) --> Salak Tinggi(4) RM 12.50
* Sentral(1) --> KLIA(5) RM 35.00
But, Bdr. Tasik Selatan --> Putrajaya RM5.30 Putrajaya - -> KLIA RM6.20So to save money on fares
1. Either take the ERL to Putrajaya for RM9.50. Get down and buy another ticket from Putrajaya to KLIA for RM6.20. Total cost works out to RM15.70 instead of RM35.00 The inconvenience is having to wait for the next train for about 15 mins (peak) or 20 mins (non-peak). But the substantial saving of RM19.30 per person may be worthwhile.
2. Take the Komuter to Bdr. Tasik Selatan for only RM1.00. From here take the ERL to Putrajaya for RM5.30. Get down and buy another ERL ticket to KLIA for RM6.20. The total costs add up to only RM12.50 instead of RM35.00. This option is cheaper by additional RM3.20 but the additional hassle may not be worth the additional saving.
ERL is banking on the fact that despite this apparent weakness in the fare structure, nobody will take advantage of it mainly because everybody is in such a hurry nowadays!
But then who knows, with escalating prices, more people may take advantage of this in future.